Thursday, June 09, 2011

The Relative Horribleness Of Foreign Sweets #2: Turkey

I have been a little disappointed by the decided lack of foreign sweets over the past few weeks. I have had workmates visiting Egypt, the Nederlands and even Jordan (the country, not the irritating celebrity) and no sweets were forthcoming.

Fortunately, the latest international traveller was good enough to provide Turkish Delight, from Turkey. Yum.

I've never been entirely sure what Turkish Delight is made from. I kinda assumed it was gelatin and sugar. Apparently not. It's still pretty much sugar, but also starch and flour and water and weird, jellyish goodness. Pretty much. I choose to believe that this makes it good for me.

Another new one on me is that it's only really us English speakers that call it Turkish Delight. It's actually called Lokum and variations of Locum pretty much everywhere else!

Anyway, on to the sweeties.

Look, it came in a lovely box:



The inside was a little disappointing - lots of padding meant that there was not nearly as much weird, jellyish goodness as was inferred from the outer packaging. Also the cubes of Turkish Delight themselves, were quite small.



As you can see from the photo, there were three flavours: lemon, orange, rose and mint:



They were all equally delicious, although I did learn a valuable lesson about eating minty Turkish Delight before the other flavours. Don't.

Also, I suffered a massive sugar crash about half an hour after scoffing about eight of them. Yay, me!

Delicious, though they were, overall I think I'll only give them a 4.5 out of 5. I'm confident that there's some chocolatey stuff out there that dan beat these. It'll be close though!

No comments: